Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano today acknowledged the corporate generosity of Crown Ford of Lynbrook for their donation of a 2012 Econoline handicap accessible 12 passenger van to the Nassau County Veterans Service Agency.
The van will be used to provide transportation to veteran healthcare facilities in East Meadow, Valley Stream, the Northport VA Hospital and the Vet Center in Hicksville. There is no charge for this transportation service and appointments can be made by calling the (516) 572-6560.
“My administration is committed to serving our veterans and ensuring they have a respectful transportation, housing and job opportunities in Nassau County,” County Executive Mangano said. “I thank Crown Ford of Lynbrook for their corporate generosity as their donation recognizes our brave men and women for their service in protecting our nation.”
Chris Anderson, President of Crown Ford, said he and his partner Bob Carra agreed it would be a great idea to donate the van, rather than return it or sell it, after an ordering error resulted in them having an extra handicap accessible vehicle. Anderson stated, “Crown Ford of Lynbrook is proud to support local veterans, as well as churches, temples and schools. After having donated a passenger van to Hope for the Warriors three years ago and after having met Rockville Centre American Legion Commander Joseph Scarola, this donation to the Nassau County Veterans Service Agency seemed natural. It’s the perfect place for a donation and we’re happy to be a part of any cause that helps local veterans.”
County Executive Mangano renewed Nassau’s commitment to its veteran community upon taking office in 2010. Under the direction of County Executive Mangano, Nassau County:
- Opened a 42-unit Affordable Housing Complex in Mitchel Field for veterans and their families and an additional 18 homes for active-duty military personnel.
* Opening a 53-bed transitional housing facility with the New York Veterans Advocacy Group (NYVAG) to assist homeless veterans rebuild their lives.
- Transferred land in Hicksville to a not-for-profit named Homes For Our Homecoming Heroes, which plans to construct a home for a veteran returning from the Middle East.
- Hosts Semi-Annual Stand Downs to feed and clothe homeless veterans.
- Hosts Annual Veteran Job Fairs to help local veterans find local employment.
- Opened a new office for the Nassau Veterans Service Agency in East Meadow at Nassau University Medical Center.
- Joined in the opening of a new Veterans Affairs (VA) health clinic at this same location to provide state-of-the-art medical care for our veterans.
- Installed Restrooms at the Veterans Memorial in Eisenhower Park.
- Hosts an Annual United Veterans Organization Memorial Day & Veterans Day Service, Gold Star Families Remembrance Service, POW/MIA Candlelight Recognition Ceremony, Korean War Veterans Memorial Service,
- Hosts an Annual Veterans Barbeque.
- Provides veteran transportation, including handicapped accessible transportation, to the VA hospital in Northport and the clinic in East Meadow and the Vet Center in Hicksville.