By Eden Laikin
Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano announced this week that the 2013 New York Open TaeKwonDo Championships/Korean Cultural Festival will be held Saturday, October 19th at 9:00 a.m. at Cantiague Park Ice Rink – with proceeds of the event benefitting the Nassau Hurricane Recovery Fund.
County Executive Mangano was joined at the announcement by former United States Olympic Coach, and current Korean American Businessman, Yeon Hwan Park.
Mangano created the Nassau Hurricane Recovery Fund in November 2012 to collect and organize private donations and distribute them to Nassau’s victims of Sandy. Multiple fundraisers and private donations have allowed the Fund to provide $1,000 gifts to 98 local families, so far and $500 Home Depot gift cards to another 24 families. A committee of clergy is responsible for administering the Fund.
“I am so grateful to Grandmaster Park for his generous offer to provide proceeds of the 2013 New York Open TaeKwonDo Championships/Korean Cultural Festival event to Nassau’s Hurricane Recovery Fund,” Mangano said. “Thanks to local business leaders like Y.H. Park, the Nassau Hurricane Recovery Fund has been able to provide support to those who have been unable to overcome the financial hurdles associated with the storm and the recovery.”
The October 19th event will consist of competitive sparring, board breaking, individual and pair forms, competitive weapons, as well as a Team Demo Competition. Highlighting this year’s event will be a special showcase between the national level team from New York facing off against international rival Team Canada.
This exciting sports and cultural event will also feature seminars prior to and during the festival, Korean style food, and Korean Cultural Performances. This event is recognized by the World TaeKwonDo Federation and sanctioned by the US TaekwonDo Leaders Union.
Superstrom Sandy damaged or destroyed 81,802 homes, 4,245 businesses and 34,602 personal automobiles.
Businesses that have held fundraisers to assist with the Fund include:
- Cheeburger Cheeburger (Farmingdale)
- Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza (Wantagh)
- West East All Natural Bistro and wine Bar (Hicksville)
- New York Ravioli & Pasta Company (New Hyde Park)
- Hurricane Grill & Wings (Garden City, Syosset, Levittown)
- Trainville Hobby Depot (Hicksville)
- EternalCon (Comic book and collectibles shows)
- The We Remember Campaign (c/o Northern NY Community Foundation)
- Bellmore Knights of Columbus
- Bethpage HS Civic Students
- Brooklyn Cyclones
- Island Harvest ($13,000 in home depot credit)
- Turkish Cultural Center ($10,000)
- Bethpage Federal Credit Union ($10,000)
- INDIAN DOCTORS ASSOCIATION ($5,000)
- Jewish Communal Fund ($2,000)