Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano and Nassau County Police Department officials today announced the following security measures for the Long Island Marathon Weekend which will take place May 2nd through May 4th:
The security measures are as follows:
• All vehicles at starting line and other staging areas must be credentialed and known in advance;
• Large contingent of uniformed police officers assigned to detail;
• Officers assigned from NCPD Homeland Security with portable radiation detectors;
• All bags and back packs will be subject to K-9 explosive detection prior to going on the UPS trucks to the finish line. K-9’s will be patrolling the general area.
• Participants should arrive early due to modified road closures around the start and finish line areas and should plan to leave enough time for parking and travel to starting line;
• Only registered participants will be permitted into the Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K starting line area on Charles Lindbergh Blvd on Sunday May 4th;
• Participants may only use clear bags at the baggage check. Clear bags will be provided by race officials at participant check-in;
• Spectators may not bring bags into the finish line area in Eisenhower Park;
• Any bags or packages found on the ground will be discarded or destroyed. Participants should not stash personal items along the race route.
• Eisenhower Park finish line security at the spectator seating area includes: Modified Fencing around seating Entrance/Exit gateways and bags/backpacks are prohibited and/or will be searched.
• Finish line festival area will include fencing to limit gateways for ingress and egress.
• The staff and volunteer-only areas require vehicle credentials as well as individual credentials. Only previously credentialed individuals will be permitted in these areas.