By Eden Laikin
This summer’s series of International Nights – sponsored by Canon USA – kicked off on Sunday at Lakeside Theatre with members of Nassau County’s Indian American communities honoring their cultural diversity.
Hundreds of residents came together to honor and celebrate Indian Americans – beginning with Yoga sessions and a Kite Festival – followed by the presentation of 6 citations from County Executive Mangano to six distinguished members of the Indian American community. Honorees included:
- AJAY BATRA – An engineer by profession, works in the aerospace industry, is actively involved in several community organizations and runs his own TV Channel: IVS TV.
- KIRIT PANCHAMIA – a well-known CPA; owner of commercial real estate and founder of the Herricks Indo US Community.
- SONIA BAWA – an Occupational Therapist, practicing since 1998, who organized the Punjabi Mela and the India Day Parade on Long Island.
- BHUPINDER KUAR THIND – a tireless community activist who has helped the less fortunate in many ways.
- DR. SUREKHA M. PATEL – who currently practices Nuclear Medicine at Jacobi Medical Center. She helped found Friends of ARCH, which has grown into a significant health and community organization with multiple locations.
- SUNITA SADHNANI – the creative director and founder of Glamorous Event Planners, a unique service which has managed thousands of events, with inspiration from her entertainment company, BollyArts.
Shree Tadapalli later sung the Indian National Anthem and Gurbani Kaur performed the Star Spangled Banner. Lastly, the event’s Master of Ceremonies – Tejal Kamat – joined all on stage.
County Executive Mangano reminds residents of the following upcoming events at Lakeside Theatre: oldies concert featuring the Marcels on Friday, June 6th; Taylor Dayne in concert on Friday, June 13; Jay Black on Friday, June 20th; and TD Bank’s Annual “Celebrate America” Show and Fireworks on Saturday, June 28th.