By Eden Laikin
RXR CEO Scott Rechler joined Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano last week to announce the 2016 RXR Long Island Marathon, which includes the traditional 26-mile race, a half marathon, 10k, 5k, 1-mile run, Kids Fun Run and other festivities.
Events take place Friday, April 29th through Sunday May, 1st. Last year’s race was a great success with over 8,800 participants.
“The Long Island Marathon is one of the Island’s most exciting athletic events, and I am pleased to once again team up with the community of runners and RXR for the 2016 Long Island Marathon,” said County Executive Mangano. “While no specific threat exists, the Nassau County Police Department will be putting forth enhanced security measures for the safety of the Long Island Marathon participants, spectators, and all members of our community. I also remind residents of our See Something Say Something Campaign – if something or someone seems suspicious, please call 911.”
“We are very proud to once again sponsor the Long Island Marathon,” said Scott Rechler, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of RXR Realty. “The Marathon weekend combines athletics and getting outdoors with healthy doses of economic activity and Long Island pride. I always enjoy running on that first Sunday in May and look forward to joining thousands of fellow Long Islanders and others from across the region and the country at the starting line.”
Nassau County and RXR thank Flushing Bank – the official bank sponsor of RXR Long Island Marathon Weekend. John Buran, President and CEO of Flushing Bank stated “We are extremely excited to be part of this Long Island event. In May of 2015, we relocated our corporate headquarters to RXR Plaza in Uniondale and opened our third banking location on Long Island. As a community bank, we believe in giving back to the communities we serve through sponsorship of events such as this.”
Special thanks to Newsday – the presenting sponsor of the Marathon – for their support as well as the following sponsors: All Round Foods, WABC-TV, WBAB, WBLI, Long Island McDonalds Restaurants, Jonas Chiropractic, and Snapple.
SCHEDULE OF FESTIVITIES
Friday, April 29th:
Sports & Fitness Expo @ Mitchel Athletic Complex (3:00 pm – 8:00 pm)
Saturday, April 30:
RXR Long Island Marathon Weekend 5K Race (8:30 am) and 1 Mile Run (8:00 am)
RXR Long Island Marathon Weekend Kids Fun Run hosted by Ronald McDonald (10:30 am – free and open to kids 1 – 11 years of age)
Sports & Fitness Expo @ Mitchel Athletic Complex (10:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Sunday May 1:
RXR Long Island Marathon (8:00 am)
RXR Long Island Marathon Weekend Half Marathon (8:00 am)
RXR Long Island Marathon Weekend 10K Race (8:00 am)
Finish Line Festival, Eisenhower Park (9:00 am – 2:00 pm)
**Advance registration is open until April 15, 2016.
**There is no race-day check-in for any RXR Long Island Marathon Weekend Events
Complete race weekend information including dates, times and locations is available at http://www.thelimarathon.com
In an effort to keep everyone safe, County Executive Mangano and the Nassau County Police Department announced the following security measures for the marathon:
• All vehicles at starting line and other staging areas must be credentialed and known in advance;
• Large contingent of uniformed police officers assigned to detail;
• Officers assigned from NCPD Homeland Security with portable radiation detectors;
• All bags and back packs will be subject to K-9 explosive detection prior to going on the UPS trucks to the finish line. K-9’s will be patrolling the general area.
• Participants should arrive early due to modified road closures around the start and finish line areas and should plan to leave enough time for parking and travel to starting line;
• Only registered participants will be permitted into the Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K starting line area on Charles Lindbergh Blvd on Sunday May 3rd.
• Participants may only use clear bags at the baggage check. Clear bags will be provided by race officials at participant check-in;
• Spectators may not bring bags into the finish line area in Eisenhower Park;
• Any bags or packages found on the ground will be discarded or destroyed. Participants should not stash personal items along the race route.
• Eisenhower Park finish line security at the spectator seating area includes: Modified Fencing around seating Entrance/Exit gateways and bags/backpacks are prohibited and/or will be searched.
• Finish line festival area will include fencing to limit gateways for ingress and egress.
• The staff and volunteer-only areas require vehicle credentials as well as individual credentials. Only previously credentialed individuals will be permitted in these areas.
Some improvements that participants will see this year include new “start-line parking areas” at the Nassau Community College, which will ease morning congestion getting into Eisenhower Park; participants will have a relatively short walk to the startling lines of the Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K Race; there will be new shuttle buses during race weekend; return shuttles from Eisenhower park back to NCC parking after the Sunday races; and shuttle buses from the Westbury LIRR station to Mitchel Field for the Sports & Fitness Expo and to and from Start and Finish Areas on Sunday, May 1st.
2016 RXR Long Island Marathon Sponsors Include: RXR, Title Sponsor; Newsday, Presenting Sponsor; FLUSHING BANK – Official Bank of RXR LIM Weekend; WBAB / WBLI, Radio partner; WABC-TV, Television partner; All Round Foods, Platinum Sponsor; Snapple, Hydration Sponsor; Long Island McDonald’s Restaurants, Gold Sponsor; Jonas Chiropractic, Title sponsor of the Jonas RunNassau Race Series and Directors of injury prevention for RXR Long Island Marathon Weekend.
For more information on becoming a 2016 RXR Long Island Marathon volunteer, citizens can visit http://www.thelimarathon.com/volunteer.