By Eden Laikin
Mangano: Billy Joel to Play First Show at Newly Transformed Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Mineola, NY – Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano today announced that legendary musician Billy Joel will perform the first show at the new Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Wednesday, April 5, 2017, after the venue undergoes an extensive transformation.
“There’s no better performer suited to reopen the transformed Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum than Long Island’s own Billy Joel,” said County Executive Mangano. “Billy serves as an exciting reminder of entertainment our residents will enjoy at the Coliseum for generations to come.”
The April 5th show will be Joel’s 33rd show at the Coliseum. He sold out nine shows in 1998, setting the venue’s record for the most sellouts in one year. On August 4, 2015, Joel layed the arena’s final show before it closed for renovations.
Tickets for the show will go on sale on Friday, October 14th at 10am and can be purchased online at www.ticketmaster.com, or by calling 800-745-3000. American Express Card Members can purchase tickets before the general public on Thursday, October 13th from 10am-10pm.
# # #
Mangano Proclaims October Fire Prevention Month & Issues Safety Tips for Homeowners
Mineola, NY – Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano was joined this week by Nassau County Fire Marshals and representatives from the Nassau County Firefighters Museum, Kidde and McDonalds as he proclaimed October Fire Prevention Month. County Executive Mangano urges residents to take simple steps to protect their families from fires and other emergencies.
County Executive Mangano offers the following tips:
- Develop and practice a home fire escape plan with your family. Make a map of your home and mark at least two doors and windows that can be used to get out of every room.
- Choose a meeting place outside in front of your home where everyone can meet once they’ve escaped.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
- Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
- Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
- If you smoke, smoke outside.
- Use deep, wide ashtrays on a sturdy table.
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
- Install smoke alarms inside each bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of the home.
- Interconnect all smoke alarms in the home so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Test all smoke alarms monthly and replace them immediately if they do not respond when tested.
- Make sure everyone in your home knows how to respond if the smoke alarm sounds.
- If you are building or remodeling your home, consider.
- r installing home fire sprinklers.
For more information about Fire Prevention Week, please visit: www.nfpa.org
# # #
Mangano Announces Long Island’s Largest Tech Expo for Local Companies
Mineola, NY- Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano announced the latest Technology Island initiative; Long Island Tech Day! Long Island’s Biggest Tech Expo, will take place on Tuesday, October 18th from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm at the Mitchel Field Athletic Complex, located at One Charles Lindbergh Boulevard in Uniondale. Long Island Tech Day provides local technology companies and startups the opportunity to show off their talent and pool of tech enthusiasts to consumers, high caliber investors and the media.
Participating companies include: Bluechip SEO; Hofstra University; Softeon; Integris Security; Canon USA, Inc.; New York Institute of Technology; Zuznow; Vision Technologies; Zingfit; eGifter; Tools4Ever; Applied Visions; and Clever Devices. Sponsors include Cablevision and K98.3.
There is no charge for admission and parking is free at LI Tech Day. For more information or to participate as a vendor, please visit www.TechnologyIsland.com.