Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano announced the following new and events for military veterans:
- 2017 Property Tax Exemptions Workshop Schedule
County Executive Mangano will host a series of Property Tax Exemptions Workshops in September & October at libraries and other meeting halls in Nassau. Department of Assessment staff will provide individual assistance to any homeowner who would like to file for his or her Veterans, Senior Citizen, Cold War Veterans, Volunteer Firefighters and Ambulance Workers, Limited Income Disability, or Home Improvement exemption on-site. Enhanced STAR applications will also be processed for homeowners already enrolled in the STAR Program prior to January 2, 2015. First-time/new homeowner Basic and Enhanced STAR applicants must register with the NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance (DTF)) for the Personal Income Tax Credit/Check Program at (518) 457-2036 or https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/register-for-star-credit.htm. The Workshops will be from 1p.m. – 2:30 p.m. at the following:
- Friday, Sept 1 at Westbury Recreation Center, 348 Post Avenue.
- Wednesday, Sept 6 at Merrick Public Library, 2279 Merrick Avenue.
- Thursday, Sept 7 at Syosset Public Library, 225 South Oyster Bay Rd.
- Friday, Sept 8 at Levittown VFW Post 9592, 55 Hickory Lane
- Thursday, Sept 14 at Great Neck Public Library, 159 Bayview Avenue.
- Friday, Sept 15 at Massapequa Pk (Bar Harbor) Library,40 Harbor Lane.
- Tuesday, Sept 19 at East Meadow Public Library, 1886 Front Street.
- Wednesday, Sept 20 at Valley Stream VFW Post 1790, 65 E. Merrick Rd.
- Monday, Sept 25 at Port Washington Public Library, One Library Drive.
- Tuedays, Sept 26 at Shelter Rock Library, 165 Searingtown Rd, Albertson.
- Wednesday, Sept 27 at Elmont Public Library, 700 Hempstead Turnpike.
- Thursday, Sept 28 at West Hempstead Library, 500 Hempstead Ave.
- Friday, Sept 29 at Oyster Bay- East Norwich Library, 89 East Main St.
- Tuesday, Oct 3 at Hicksville Public Library, 169 Jerusalem Avenue.
- Wednesday, Oct 4 at Uniondale Public Library, 400 Uniondale Avenue.
- Friday, Oct 6 at Long Beach Public Library, 111 West Park Avenue.
- Wednesday, Oct 11 at Oceanside Public Library, 30 Davison Avenue.
- Thursday, Oct 12 at Baldwin Public Library, 2385 Grand Avenue.
- Thursday, Oct 19 at Bethpage Public Library, 47 Powell Avenue.
Homeowners who will be filing for a property tax exemption are encouraged to makE copies of their 2016 Federal and State Income Tax Forms, Driver’s License, and any other documentation required- Prior to the workshop. See what’s required at www.mynassauproperty.com. For more information on property tax exemptions offered by Nassau County, contact the Dept of Assessment (516) 571-1500.
- GOLD STAR FAMILIES CEREMONY
County Executive Mangano hosted this year’s Gold Star Families Ceremony at the Veterans Memorial in Eisenhower Park on June 3 – remembering the men/woman from NYS that paid the ultimate sacrifice in service of our country. Joining him were Gold Star Mothers: Emily Toro, who lost her son in Iraq in 2007; and Nancy Fuentes. Mangano said the ceremony is an important tribute to all of NYS’s fallen heroes and veterans who answered the call to defend our freedom. “On behalf of the residents of Nassau County, I thank all the veterans who served our country in the Global War on Terrorism over the past 30 years and our servicemen and women who are still defending freedom around the world,” he said. “We salute all of the Gold Star spouses, sons, daughters, mothers and fathers and families of our fallen service members and recognize their sacrifice with admiration. We owe a deep debt of gratitude to all of our veterans and their families who shouldered those same burdens, days or decades ago, and thank them for the America we cherish today.”
- United Veterans Org Memorial Day Service
This year’s Memorial Day Service in Nassau County was led by the United Veterans Organization, which was started in 1950 and consists of 31 Nassau veterans’ groups and 11 executive board members. County Executive Mangano hosted the ceremony, at the Veterans Memorial in Eisenhower Park on May 28. The UVO’s top officials spoke, and the Mepham High School Choir sang the National Anthem. Mangano said he was honored to join them to “remember the brave members of the United States Armed Forces who made the supreme sacrifice for our nation. We stand in awe of their courage and selflessness to protect our freedom and American way of life,” he said. “For over 150 years, veterans and civilians alike have paused on this day to honor those who fought, perhaps tasting victory, but never came home to savor our freedoms.” He also thanked the Nassau County’s Veterans Service Agency for “working every day to ensure that all of our veterans receive the benefits and services they have deserve.”
- Barracks to Business (EMPLOYMENT) workshop
To help returning veterans translate their military skills into Career Success once back home, County Executive Mangano partnered with Northwell Health to host Nassau’s 3rd annual workshop at the Cradle of Aviation Museum last month. Joining him were members of the County’s Veterans Service Agency: Director Ralph Esposito – a Vietnam Navy Veteran; Deputy Director Paul Vista – an Afghanistan Army Veteran; Juan Serrano, Director of the Office of Military and Veterans Liaison Services for Northwell Health and a Marine; Anthony Silvera, Veterans Program Specialist for Northwell, who served in the Air Force and John McMullin, Dept. of Social Services Employment Specialist, who served in the Air Force. Veterans Specialists at the Barracks to Business workshop – held at the Cradle of Aviation Museum – showed attendees how to do a military to civilian life resume and how to apply online for jobs at Northwell. Mangano said: “We know how tough it must be to transition from active military service to civilian life. We have a moral obligation to help the servicemen and women seeking employment, find jobs. As members of our Armed Forces you have gained skills, expertise and a range of abilities during your service – assets that would be invaluable to potential employers. It is our turn to “serve” all of our veterans – about 70,000 of which call Nassau County home.
- UPCOMING VETERANS’ EVENTS
- June 24th at 10:00a.m.: Wall of Honor Ceremony at Veterans Plaza, Eisenhower Park
- July 11th from 10:00a.m.-2:00pm: Veteran’s Assistance Day (Stand Down) at the American Legion – 160 Marvin Ave, Hempstead.
- August 5th at 6:30pm: Tony Orlando’s “Salute to Veterans” Concert at Lakeside Theatre, Eisenhower Park.
- Sat, August 26th from 9:00a.m.-12p.m: The 5K/10K Walk & Run for Veterans at Eisenhower.
- Thurs, September 7that 11:00a.m., The POW-MIA Candle Light Vigil in Eisenhower Park.