Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano and Police Commissioner Patrick J. Ryder want to alert the public that there has been an increase in larcenies from autos throughout Nassau County. The thefts are occurring at all times of the day and night – from vehicles that have been left unlocked.
The following are police recommendations to help safeguard your vehicle:
- Always lock your vehicle, even when it’s parked in your driveway or garage.
- Never leave or hide a smart key, valet key, or spare key anywhere in or on your vehicle, no matter where you park it.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle.
- If possible, park your vehicle in a locked garage.
- Keep the exterior of homes and driveways well illuminated.
- Close all your vehicle windows completely when parked.
- Also, secure your garage door opener to prevent access to your home.
Most important, we want to remind people to be observant of cars and people who appear suspicious. If you
“See Something, Say Something”.
Dial 9-1-1 and be ready to provide the police with as much information as possible regarding the description of the suspicious person or vehicle. License plate numbers are extremely valuable information for the police.